Big Plans for the Cooroy Community Permaculture Gardens!
We announced in our July edition of Permanews that the committee has voted unanimously to build a new shelter at our community gardens to provide an all-weather space where we can hold community events, workshops and courses, swap produce (harvest swaps), and help to bring back community connection within the gardens.
Please click on the pictures below to review our latest plans, and we invite your feedback at email@example.com
September 2020 progress report:
- Development Approval application lodged with Noosa Council
- Applied for two grants – Noosa Council (max $30,000) and the Dept of Justice Community Benefit Fund (max $35,000) – we hope to have results in October
- Soil tests have been completed
- Plan to go to tender for a main contractor at beginning of October
- Start work on site in early November
- Plan to complete shelter only (slab, posts and roof) by Christmas, if successful builder can meet schedule
- Cob building workshops to start in January – anticipated it will take 8 full days to complete walls
August 2020 progress report:
Brett Grimley from Ecolibrium Designs in Eumundi is preparing the design and documentation for Permaculture Noosa, and is generously donating much of his time to this exciting project.
The new shelter will feature a large meeting space, an outdoor kitchen for events, demonstrations and workshops, a cob pizza oven, a small office and storage space using cob walls, solar panels and water harvesting.
This will be a venue for Permaculture Noosa workshops on a range of topics from growing food to composting, grafting, worm farming, and our very popular Introduction to Permaculture course. It will provide the hub for our Seed Savers meetings and our working bees, Club Days, harvest swaps, plant and seed sales, guest speakers, social gatherings like music and pizza nights, and of course, a focal point for our very popular Permaculture Noosa Festival – the possibilities are many and varied. We will also encourage community groups to enjoy the space for their own events.