The following information comes from Susan Anderson – Our Garden Guru
Jobs to do in March (these jobs are a list we follow at Cooroy Community Permaculture Gardens)
- Compost – keep compost piles damp and turn often
- Fertilize – Tomatoes with magnesium (Epsom salts) 1 tablespoon Epsom salts to 9 litres of water
- Fertilize – apply fertilizer tea to asparagus seedlings, melons sown in February and potato bed planted in April as well as cabbage, leek, silverbeet, and young passionfruit.
- Fertilize – fertilize peppermint in 3rd quarter of the moon cycle
- Pests – watch for fruit fly on tomatoes and capsicums and cover with exclusion bags
- Plant – plant day length neutral garlic bulbs March to April for harvest in August/September, Southern Glen, Glenlarge, Italian Red and Italian Pink cultivars
- Plant – trees and rhubarb
- Plant – plant Rosellas now
- Prune – any dead wood in shrubs, roses and trees
- Soil – hoe and cultivate to break up soil crust
- Soil – prepare beds for spring bulbs
You can join Susan and our other garden enthusiasts every Wednesday @ 3pm and Sundays from 7am – where you can ask questions and get “hands-on” learning in our Community Gardens!