- 500g Madagascar Beans (Actually the seeds from the bean pods), soaked in water over night, water discarded and then Madagascar beans boiled for 10 minutes – or until soft. Old beans can take 2-3 hours to soften by boiling!!!!
- Place soft, cooked, drained beans in stick blender.
- Throw in 2 cloves garlic
- Add juice of 1 lemon
- 1/4 cup Olive Oil
- Pinch of salt
- Pinch of chilli (if desired)
- Zap it in the stick blender until smooth (takes less than a minute).
- Serve with dipping biscuits, celery, carrots or anything you enjoy.
*Feel free to adjust amounts of lemon juice, garlic and chilli to taste.
*Madagascar beans are VERY easy to grow. Simply place beans in soil alongside a trellis/fence. Harvest when the beans/pods are cream in colour and dry/crispy. The Madagascar bean will fruit prolifically for years if you harvest whenever a set of beans are ready.
* Harvested seeds can be frozen when raw or frozen once soaked & cooked, and used in this recipe for years to come. It’s best NOT to leave them stored in jars for months, as it will take HOURS of cooking to soften them.
There’s NOTHING more fun than growing your own ‘hummus’ ingredients!
Any questions, call Dee Humphreys on 0497754486
To see the Demonstration on Youtube, please click on this link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KO8NQYXlKjE&feature=youtu.behttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KO8NQYXlKjE&feature=youtu.be
For more information on Madagadcar Beans, click on this link: https://permaculturenoosa.com.au/madagascar-bean/