Arrowroot cake ( based on Zaia’s recipe)
Recipe kindly sourced by Robyn Harrison
In a heavy duty blender put the following:
- 1/2 – 3/4 blender full of peeled and washed fresh arrowroot chunks
- 7 eggs
- 1 Tbs baking powder
- 2/3 cup rapadura sugar (or raw sugar)
- 2 1/2 handfuls of dried pitted dates (chopped to make sure no seeds!)
- 1 1/2 Tbs Carob powder (or cacao)
- A dash of vanilla extract or 1 tsp vanilla powder
Peel arrowroot and place in water. Cut in chunks (do not rinse), just dry in a tea towel. Add half the eggs and blend this on pulse till fine. Add remaining ingredients except the baking powder and blend till smooth. (It tends to froth and expand the quantity.) Add baking powder last and blend a little more to mix. Pour the batter into a large baking dish. Bake at 170C for 40 Minutes to 1 hour, until the cake springs back in the centre when gently pushed down. Serve with fresh cream and strawberries, or just on its own! Bonus is that this cake is Gluten Free as well! We have it with yoghurt and jaboticaba syrup.
You can adapt it and add grated chocolate! The secret is out! We have also made it with a combination of arrowroots and grated cassava (from the freezer). It came out a bit drier. Experiment!