27th May Workshop – Soil tests for Home Gardeners with Marina Alonso (9.30 am)
May 27 @ 9:30 AM - 11:30 AM$5
A great opportunity to bring in a soil sample & do some soil testing. This is a fun, practical workshop where you get to examine your soil sample. We will examine your soil texture, soil (aggregate) stability, pH & Electrical Conductance (EC). After setting up our soil tests all these soil parameters will be explained in a practical way. Clay, loam & sandy soils have different water & nutrient holding properties for instance. Have you ever wondered just how prone to erosion your soil is and what can you do about it? Bring in a soil sample.
Marina has completed a Ba. App. Sc. in Production Horticulture and is currently finalising her PhD in Soil Microbiology.
Instructions for Collection of soil sample:
- Push spade through to about 10 cm of soil.
- Pull the spade left to right to create a little ‘wedge’ in the soil.
- Take spade out and create another ‘wedge’ on opposite side.
- When taking the spade out, lean it down towards the ground as you pull the spade out collecting soil in the spade.
- The idea is to collect a small 10cm soil profile.
- Place soil sample in a zip lock bag or clean jar with lid and try to collect it the day before or on the morning of the workshop.
Cost: $5 Non-Members, Gold coin for Members, Free to Regular Volunteers
Duration 2 hours. Bookings are NOT required.